uname prints the current system name of the unix system to standard output.It is mainly useful to determine which system one is using.The options cause selected information returned by uname and/or sysinfo command to be printed:
- -a : Print all information.
- -m: Print the machine hardware name.
- -n: Print the node name(name by which the system is known to the communication network) .This is the default setting.
- -p: Print the processor type of the current host.
- -r: Print the operating system release.
- -s:Print the name of the operating system.
- -v: Print the version of the operating system.
The next post will talk about the passwd command.